IAMU was founded by seven universities representing the five continents of the world (Representative Universities) in November, 1999, with a shared recognition of significance of maritime education and training in the rapid globalization of the international shipping arena. Since then, IAMU has significantly expanded its membership, and now boasts 68 universities/academies/faculties of the world’s maritime education and training institutions, and The Nippon Foundation as its members, total 69 altogether.
The International Association of Maritime Universities (IAMU: ai-ei-em-ju:) is the global network of leading maritime universities providing Maritime Education and Training (MET) of seafarers for the global shipping industry. All members of IAMU share the understanding:
- that globalization has been progressing rapidly in the international shipping arena;
- that Safety, Security and Environmental Protection are crucial issues for the maritime sector; and
- that passing on maritime skills and knowledge to the following generations needs to be achieved on a global scale.
All members of IAMU also recognize the significance of maritime education and training and note that:
- the shipping industry is a service industry, in which human resources are the critical element;
- it is only feasible to secure and to preserve highly qualified human resources in the maritime industries through effective education and training;
- and effective education and training in the maritime sector derives from scientific and academic rigor and development of a clear link between practical skills, management techniques and a focus on quality.
Based on this shared understanding, it has been mutually agreed:
- that members shall cooperate with each other in a range of scientific and academic studies, developments, and practical applications associated with Maritime Education and Training;
- that members shall endeavor to achieve measurable and worthwhile outcomes for Maritime Education and Training through IAMU activities;
- that members shall publicize the results of their activities as extensively as possible both within and outside IAMU, and shall endeavor to accumulate scientific results for the benefit of the international maritime community;
- and that the members shall thereby contribute to the enhancement of Maritime Safety, Security and Environmental Protection.
The Association was created in 1999 by a group of maritime universities from across the world as a non-profit organization.